Waterproofing is Crucial if you want to Prevent Thousands of Dollars in Damage
We all know that we need water to survive. However, for a house or a business, water can be a destructive force that can lead to wood rot, peeling paint, insect infestation, shorter lifespan of roofing and siding and higher maintenance costs. Local home inspectors say water is single handedly the biggest threat to any home or business. Water damage left unattended can result in structural failure or, potentially, mold growth. Waterproofing is crucial if you want to prevent major damage which WILL end up costing you thousands of dollars in damage.
The best way to prevent water damage from rainwater and debris is to ensure the exterior materials of the building are properly installed and maintained. The following tips will help identify and eliminate sources of water intrusion in your home. Common places where water intrusion occurs:
- Windows and Doors: Check for leaks around your windows and doors, especially near corners. Peeling paint, can be a sign of water getting into the wood. Any discolorations in the paint or caulking or swelling of the window or doorframe or surrounding materials should be cause for concern.
- Roof: Repair or replace a roofing systems that allows water to penetrate the roof sheathing. Check for roofing leaks around HVAC units, Chimneys, Valleys and Plumbing Vent Flashings
- Foundation and Exterior Walls: Seal any cracks and holes in external walls, joints, and foundations, in particular, examine locations where piping or wiring extends through the outside walls. Fill all cracks in these locations with sealant.
- Plumbing: Check for leaking faucets, dripping or “sweating” pipes, clogged drains, and faulty water drainage systems.
- Basements: Ensure that the basement windows and doors have built-up barriers or flood shields.
If water intrusion does occur, you can minimize the damage by addressing the problem quickly and thoroughly. Keep in mind that home inspectors say water damage is so serious that it’s critical that you call a professional. Roberts-McNutt is a trusted leader in the industry. Our waterproofing division has tremendous experience in concrete repairs, masonry repairs, decorative masonry coatings, historical repairs, caulking, and various sealants. Leaking basements and leaking walls. We specialize in the difficult and next to impossible. BOTTOM LINE. WE KEEP THE WATER OUT.